Good waders are important for wading or fishing in cold weathers and water. However, these high-quality products aren’t cheap and the price of the premium waders is often up to hundreds of dollars. Thus, taking good care of your pair is a must so that you can save money for a new one in a long time.
One of the best effective maintenance is hanging up so your best breathable waders can dry totally after each use and be stored in good conditions. While wader hangers are available in the market, you can also build a hanging rack by yourself.
The guide to build a wader hanger
- Use a jigsaw to cut out a rectangle with the size 6 inches x 36 inches. You can measure and mark the plywood before cutting with a pencil and a measuring tape.
- Use a jigsaw to cut six u-shaped slots on the plywood. A slot is from 2 to 3 inches wide. The slot’s open side forms the rack front where you will hang the waders. Use medium-grit sandpaper to sand the plywood and remove all rough edges.
- Use a paintbrush to apply a paint or stain coat, and wait until the coat becomes dry completely. Do the same with the second coat and leave it dry entirely. Add a water sealant on the dry stain or paint coat, leave it dry completely and add the second coat. Dry the piece for at least 1 day.
- Turn the piece of wood upside down, measure and mark lines 34, 18, and 2 inches from the board end. These marks are places you will apply the shelf brackets. Make some holes and drive a half inch long screw for each one to fix the brackets with the plywood. Remember that you should place the shelf brackets at the suitable spots on the board.
- Flip the piece back over, and lean it against the wall where you plan to set up it. It’s better that you have a helper to hold it. Make sure to line up the brackets with the studs on the wall since the drywall may not hold the weight of three pairs of waders and the hanger. To secure those things to the wall, you should drive a one-inch-and-a-half-long screw into the remaining holes on the brackets.
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure that your hanger is high enough to avoid the waders and straps from touching the floor. Generally, a hanger should have the length 6 to 6 and a half feet so that the waders are above on the ground.
- Before hanging the waders to dry, you should wash them in hot water.
- Be careful in using power tools.
Take care of your waders
Inevitably, the best waders also will tear out at some points, but taking good care of them can make them last longer with the better effective use. Think of the following guide to prolonging your waders’ life.
- Choose the best fit waders from the start. You should take a serious option including the body and the stocking foot that offer the best quality, comfort, and durability.
- Dry them entirely from the outside to inside. After a day of fishing, most anglers wash them and hang up for a completely dry. However, you need to turn them inside out to dry entirely so the waders can avoid moisture growing quickly and mildew building up.
- Roll your waders, don’t fold them. Folding leads to stress on the same crease points and break down. Thus, when you must travel with waders, roll up from the wader feet.
- Hang or store flat. When you want to store your waders, laying them flat on the surface or hanging upright is the best way.
- Avoid sunlight. Except when you use for wading or fishing, you should protect your waders from UV rays, such drying or storing.
- Clean by hand. Generally, cleaning can well extend your waders’ life, but you need to wash by hand with hand soap and allow them to air dry.
To conclude, a wader hanger is quite necessary to dry and store your waders when not in use or preventing moisture building up or mildew growth. You can follow this guide to make your own hanger or buy one from fishing shops. Besides that, take good care of your waders for the best in use and extending greatly your best waders.
GigaFishing is a specialized website to share what is best in the field of fishing. The latest update of the fishing news . Website’s slogan is “share the best fishing”!